View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Cartastic
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Wifi for your Car/Truck?? Anyone have this yet?

Ok so ... I got my router installed and working!

Here is my review with the experience so far.

Delivery- Came fast and easy.. I ordered from Amazon.com and the cost after rebate was a little over $200.00 ! $386.94 plus tax with a $200 rebate!Installation- I had my local stereo store install it under my seat for $50! They told me it took about 30 min!

Performance- First off.. one thing I learned that the Autonet router does that I didn't know it could do is the system actually manages the data for you.Lets say you are moving down the highway ...uploading a document and you lose connection to the tower...... Autonet will put the upload on pause.. and resume once you re-establish connection. This means you won't lose the data you are transmitting or send half of a document .. possibly corrupting a database. Amazing!I would say Autonet is pretty spot on with what they claim. It seems to work seemlessly while in motion.... MUCH better than my cell card did.

I am able to stream pandora without choppyness or lag ... I will say that every now and then you may get a second of hiccup but it's not enough to annoy you.... like once every 30 minutes.Video streaming also works pretty good... granted it's still a 3g connection so the loading can be a little combersome but once it's starts streaming I have noticed very little hiccuping. It's for sure better than a cell card.

Range-Autonetmobile claims you can use it up to 150 ft from the vehicle and I would say this is accurate. I didn't bust out a tape measure but I was about 120-140 ft away with no problems.All in all I would say I feel really good about the price and the performance... in the long run it will save me money for sure ... my cell card was costing me about $80 per month on average and Autonet is $29 FLAT rate. No taxes, no overages, no roaming.

I am definitely excited to road trip it up now!!!!

Last edited by Cartastic; 10-16-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Cartastic is offline   Reply With Quote