View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 03:09 AM   #60
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateomonk
ok so basically what i need to do the swap myself.... is the TT front clip.... As well as a tranny exhaust and rear end?..... or is the tranny included in the Clip....

So im looking at.... 3,000 ---for the clip
1,000 ---maybe more for the rear end
500 -----Exhaust
so 4,500 plus other things ....
and i paid 2,000 For my N/a 92 ......
so 6,500 for a TT 300z isnt sounding too bad right now .... .
if theres anything else i need plz let me know
The TT front clip will get you there. Some clips come with transmissions, others don't. However, I've never heard the NAs 5spd was watered down strength wise so you should be good to go on that. If your really worried and you clip doesn't come with a transmission you can probably pick one up for a couple hundred dollars.

You don't really need a TT rear end, the only real difference is the gearing (TT is taller). And you can find used TT rear ends for $250 or less if you really want one. Check wholesale wharehouses and wrecking yards.

Exhaust only really comes into play if you have a 2+2 NA because the chassis was 6 inches longer and there were no US 2+2 turbos thus no pipes for them. Even then its just a matter of sourcing the correct pipes for the job and really while your swapping the TT motor you can just get some aftermarket down pipes and test pipes (you can get them with high flow cats welded in) and have a much better exhaust system that fits perfect. You can pretty much find whatever you need pre-made ready to order. And even if you can't find the exact combination you need, a good shop can make up a few feet of pipe for cheap. Really, its just a pipe with a few bends in it with some flanges on each end. If you have a 2 seater NA and don't want to drop money on downpipes and such right now then it would just be a matter of finding a stock TT forward exhaust piece and a wrecking yard should be able to get that for fairly cheap.

What do you have available too you and how comfortable are you at taking expensive complicated things apart? This is not a weekend job by any means so you'll need a garage or somewhere you can keep alot of parts lying around not to mention the car and the clip. If you have some engine experience you can do this yourself provided you grab a Factory Service Manual and read up alot on what you're trying to do. Take it slow, do it right and be very happy with the results.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote