View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Oil Pan Gasket change and still leaks

Hi everyone. I have a 2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 with the 3.5L engine. I observed the underside of the engine very carefully and concluded that my oil pan was leaking. So I changed it. I worked on it for quite a while. I bought the correct Felpro oil pan gasket, cleaned all the surfaces and got the job done. It took me two days. I noticed on the Autozone repairhelp site the picture I've attached.

Towards the back side of the oil pan, the gasket sorta takes a sharp 90 degree turn from going up to going horizontal along the block. There is a corner that I thought might need sealant, and so I put RTV in both sides, but I'll admit that I didn't put very much in there.
Anyway, it is still leaking about a drop per hour. After sitting all night, it has an unacceptable amount of oil on the ground. I have gone under there and examined it closely and know that it is coming from the oil pan gasket on the back side where I had to deal with the RTV.
My question is, what did I do wrong? I don't want to lead the witness here, but my theory is I did not put enough RTV in that corner. I also started and ran the car after only a few hours of putting the pan up and am wondering if my RTV did not cure in time. It was the black RTV by permatex. I think I will be doing this job over again and want to make sure I do it right. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (40.7 KB, 3 views)
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote