View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #39
bacchus_gc
AF Newbie

Re: '93 Del sol will not start at all now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93delsolzz View Post
Today I was going over a few more checks.

I checked the main relay, and all the checks were ok.

I pulled a plug again checking for spark. Still no spark but I did not smell any fuel this time after cranking for some time. The first time I checked (the day after I drove it home) I could smell fuel when I pulled a plug.

After realizing I may have more then one problem. I then wanted to check the fuel pump. I turned ignition on and I hear nothing coming from the fuel pump. Then I checked to see if I was getting voltage with ignition on to the fuel pump. And NO, I was not getting any voltage. I did have a good ground from - wire to body ground. I then checked the + wire from the fuel pump to the main relay, wire was ok; had continuity, but when I checked it for voltage, I had NO voltage. I then checked the wire to the #1 slot on the main relay for voltage. It did have voltage. I can hear and feel the main relay operating when I turn the key to the on position.

This is how I checked the main relay.
Main Relay Test:
NOTE: If the car starts and continues to run, the main relay is okay.
  1. Remove the main relay.
  2. Attach the battery positive terminal to the No. 4 terminal and the battery negative terminal to the No. 8 terminal of the main relay. Then check for continuity between the No. 5 terminal and No. 7 terminal of the main relay.
    • If there is continuity, go on to step 3.
    • If there is no continuity, replace the relay and retest.
  3. Attach the battery positive terminal to the No. 5 terminal and the battery negative terminal to the No. 2 terminal of the main relay. Then check that there is continuity between the No. 1 terminal and No. 3 terminal of the main relay.
    • If there is continuity, go on to step 4.
  4. Attach the battery positive terminal to the No. 3 terminal and battery negative terminal to the No. 8 terminal of the main relay. Then check that there is continuity between the No. 5 terminal and No. 7 terminal of the main relay.
    • If there is continuity, the relay is OK; If the fuel pump still does not work, go to Harness Test.
The only differance I did is, since my car didn't have the No. 4 terminal, but my car had a No. 6 terminal, I tested it by substituting the No. 4 terminal with my No. 6 terminal.

Not sure why mine is different.

I forgot to put the main relay back in before I cranked the car over, funny thing is that it cranked over (of course it didn't start). The starter must be on its own circut.

Is there a way to better test the main relay, and also test the ECU?

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

Aloha!

Hi ... what about if i don't have negative in terminal #8 .... a put negative on #8 and fuel pump start to work , but car doesnt start .... when start (some days after try a lot of times) run all day very good .. then next day the same problem , car doesn't start.
bacchus_gc is offline   Reply With Quote