View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
glennrmstrng
AF Newbie

Need help figuring out anti theft

Hi. I have a 98 GMC Sierra, 4.3 liter

The ignition was busted on a attempted theft.
I've replaced the steering column and ignition cylinder with one from junkyard.

It will crank but will not run

I have correct fuel pressure, I have correct spark. If I put starter fluid in the throttle body it will run until the fluid runs out whilst the security light flashes. Leaving me to believe it is an anti-theft issue. When i turn the key to the on position the light only comes on for a few seconds then goes off as i believe it is suppose to. Here's what I have tried so far:

I tried the "relearn" trick that if I did correctly, consisted of trying to start, letting the key sit in the on position for 10 minutes, switching off for 5 seconds and repeat 4 times. The only thing that was different from the posts I've seen was during this my security light never came on, it only comes on for the previously stated few seconds when key is first turned and in all the posts I read the light stayed on

I've tried tricking the security system. I seen a post where by clipping the yellow wire from the 3 that runs to the cylinder then putting a resistor between the yellow wire and orange wire with a black stripe it will trick it. I tried this and my security light now flashes consistently while it is hooked up this way.

I'm in dire need of my truck and can't work without it and am now turning to here hopefully to find answers. I have no money to pay someone else to do it. I will respond to all suggestions and afterwards if a suggestion does the trick I'll be sure to post that it did. Thank you for reading and your time
glennrmstrng is offline   Reply With Quote