View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
RedNeckerson
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Blazer 4.3 4x4 Air Bag Light - FIXED!!!

Cool. Hope your son was ok. That's an old school full power air-bag. Mine hadn't deployed, so I didn't have to dick with the steering wheel at all. And thank God for the one salvage yard in VA(that I know of) that still lets you drag a wagon full of tools around and do your own thing. To do it over, I wish I had checked it out after I had replaced the arming sensor. Not sure what was really causing the light to on, or if maybe it was stored in the control module(DERM, I guess?). Probably an 'impact detected' code or something. I just drilled out the impact sensor rivets, and then drilled new holes in the replacement sensors and ran self tappers through the bracket they bolt to so they be in the same location they're supposed to be in. If you do that, be careful the screwws aren't too long or you might run them through the radiator. Anyway, in the end it wasn't much, but I felt pretty damn good about fixing the stupid thing for $30. Frustrating to think something like that can make a vehicle basically un-inspectable, therefore undriveable and un-sellable, depending on what <adjective deleted> state laws you happen to live under. Some of the info I read said you can't just replace the DERM on newer vehicles, something about the VIN or something. Anyway, not the case in the older Blazers, thank God!

Last edited by RedNeckerson; 09-16-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: stupid typos
RedNeckerson is offline   Reply With Quote