View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Patiodadio
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Tensioner Assembly Removal for SII 3800 Engine and Bypass Elbows '99 and Up

WOW!!! Am I glad that I found this info. I have a 2001 Buick Lasabre, and the antifreeze has been slowly disappearing from the resevoir for five years, but it got a whole lot worse in just the last two weeks. The antifreeze would "pool up" under the removable engine plastic cover right at the front edge of the black intake cover where there is a metal "pocket". I also noticed antifreeze near the tensioner on a ledge, but couldn't figure out how the antifreeze could get from that area to the front "pocket". In hindsight, it must be some kind of airflow.

In any case, the problem was exactly what is shown earlier in this thread. The two 90 degree "pipes" came in a kit and cost less than $4.00. The big "stovepipe" had a bad end where it went into the main block. I am so pleased that this was an easy 2 hour fix. No heads to pull, WONDERFUL!!! The only part that was a bit frustrating was draining the antifreeze out. I had to use a long socket with a pipe taped to it to unscrew the drain plug and recover the antifreeze. I suppose it might be argued to change the antifreeze too, but I had gone through a gallon already, and the recovered amount looked clean.

Many thanks to all, and I needed to leave that message here!
Patiodadio is offline   Reply With Quote