View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #74
White Lightening
AF Regular

GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCON z
Crap No, They told me that my new 2005 4.10 rear end would get the same gas mileage as the 3.73. That was bull. I was looking for the average gas mileage when I ran across this forum. I love my truck except the gas mileage. I have a 2005 Silverado z71 4.10 rear end, 5.3L, 4500 miles, stock tires, live on flat land, live in a small town so its not stop and go, and I driver a couple of miles on the interstate daily to go to work and I'm only getting 13-13.6 miles per gallon. Straight HWY no stops 17-17.5. Honestly, I would not have bought it if I new I'd get 13 miles to the gallon. I wish there was a way I could give it back. I haven't read the whole thread but will as time allows. Any helpful advice on improving my situtation would be appreciated. I've thought about putting a K&N air filter in it. Here as pic of my nice looking gas gussler.

Greetings Falcon z,

I'm really surprised that your Z71 would have a 4.10 axle ratio. That is what they use in the SS because it gives better "redlight" quick-off-the-line performance. It also effects the gas mileage too.

What you can do from present? First thing - you can make sure you have a tonneau cover - as this changes wind resistance. I have a HARD but folding unit (folds to 4 sections) - and it improved my mileage by 2 mpg on the highway. Also my experience is that if you break the truck in properly - you will notice improved gas mileage after the first 5,000 to 10,000 miles.

the thread also mentions a number of other ideas (using slick 50, airhog air filter, premium gas, etc.).

White Lightening