View Single Post
Old 01-01-2004, 10:53 PM   #15
chaos
AF Premium User

Tamiya AMG Mercedes C-Class DTM D2

This kit is based on the car Mercedes and AMG released for the 1994 German Touring Car Championship season.

The body was flash free but had some pretty deep mold lines which needed a fair bit of sanding – the process of sanding these mold lines inevitably removed some detail especially from the rear bumper. Since decals were placed over these areas – it didn’t concern me as much. The front cowl and side vents come as separate parts.

The stripped down race interior was reasonably straightforward with the roll cage fitting together almost perfectly! I say this cos the last few roll cages I built needed quite a bit of tinkering to get right. The seat harness hardware is replicated by decals.

The chasis is relatively detailed and there were no issues with fitment. The front wheels are poseable but I found that once everything was assembled, I was unable to steer them (of course, this might have been an assembly mistake on my part). The exhaust tips are chrome plated which add to overall appearance. The kit does have an engine, but virtually disappears once final assembly is completed.

The majority of the car is decaled. I only used ‘MicroSet’, with which I had no problems. I am unaware whether decal softners would adversely affect these decals. I found that some decals were a tad too big in certain areas and needed some careful trimming.

The following are some of the issues with the kit. On final assembly, I could not get the body to attach to the chasis and gaps are seen. The front cowl does not attach perfectly as well. The window had very little unseen space to apply the glue and this added to the unnecessary frustration of the building experience. Overall, I’d give the car 5/10 – the main reason is the poor final fitment of my sample of this car, which in end, regardless of everything else, is the 1st thing that people notice.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote