View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts
Re: What to photograph and what to ask when I meet an F1 and/or his Owner?"

1. Start with - sincerity, politeness, respect and knowledge. Understand the boundaries and try to gauge the owners reaction to what you are asking.

2. Photograph - 'til your picture-taking finger bleeds or you run out of battery / memorycard space . Any angle, the more obscure the better, and not just from the 'normal' height; try the up high / ground shots, arty shots ie get some background in if it looks right or an angle you have never seen before. Always try for the chassis plate shot, the VIN plate too if the engine lid is open, a pedalbox shot is always a good one and any other shots of any distinguishing features of the car but I always ask before I shoot these sort of things, as some owners may be a bit touchy about showing these areas off.

3. What to ask - depends on the reaction to 1 and 2. Some owners might be wary of Mclaren F1-officiandos and therefore a bit blunt / unaccomodating. Others may open up if you catch them at the right time and be helpful. Some owners may even take you for a ride ( Erik). ALWAYS ask if they don't mind you hosting pictures on the internet for others to see. If they do mind, respect that. If they don't, title the thread with a decent description and post away .

When we [Al and I] saw #013 in Exeter, the salesman was welcoming and polite, but stated certain things we couldn't / shouldn't do (IE leave the doors open too long so as to drain the battery). We were pretty much given carte blanche to go over, in and around the car snapping away to our hearts content, opening all doors / luggage compartments and getting out the luggage / tool roll as long as our eagerness didn't get in the way of a sale / prospective sale of any other car in the showroom. The salesman was eager to learn all we knew about the car too, it's history and even show them how to open up the front trunk to show off the Kenwood CD player and tool roll.

On the flip side, I was gruffly asked 'hope those pictures aren't going on the internet' by an owner, despite the car being in his showroom and his car being all over the internet [this was just before an exhibition at his showroom so he was understandably apprehensive]. I was allowed in the car to take pics but respected the owners request not to share the pics over the internet. I have since seen the owner at a car festival and he was welcoming and approachable. Just goes to show that on the day, you have to be aware of the owners mood and respect their wishes.