View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #25
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: selecting the best used car for my needs

Usually, Shpuker's advice is appropriate and decent, but in this case, it's way off base. It's biased towards his own personal preferences and imo are not the best advice for the OP.

I have driven in snow now for 27 winters. In that time I have owned and driven 25-odd FWD, RWD and 4x4 cars and trucks. FWD is better, especially for the novice.

I am not sure is Shpuker actually talks to ordinary or novice drivers. The VAST MAJORITY of car drivers in the winter want the superior traction and steering of FWD. They PREFER it because it is more predictable, it accelerates better and is easier to handle. Unlike Shpuker and me, they are not car enthusiasts and have no interest in the unpredictability of having the rear end of the car slide around. They simply want the easiest form of winter driving, often without shelling the bucks for 4WD.

I remember with great clarity, when Chrysler started making FWD cars in quantity in '78, GM in '79 and Ford in '81, the average Canadian car buyer was in seventh heaven. Huge quantities of car buyers, sick and tired of sliding around with RWD embraced FWD cars with great enthusiasm because of the superior winter driving performance.

And they have never looked back. FWD is still overwhelmingly preferred here for cars, even though RWD alternatives exist. So, Shpuker, are millions of Canadian FWD car buyers wrong when they prefer it for winter driving? I don't think so.

BMW cars?? Worthless in the snow. Worthless.(Except the SUV's are great with the correct tires). Lots of my friends and neighbors have RWD cars.... but for summertime performance, NOT for winter.

Sure, FWD may not be preferred for Shpuker personally, but for this original poster, Fwd is the way to go.

Imo any deficiencies of FWD stem from the lack of decent snow tires. FWD is good enough that people can get by with all-seasons, although this is often a bad choice.

Finally, there is ONE RWD car that is really good in the snow.... the old VW Beetle. With it's RWD and rear mounted engine.... the weight of the engine was over the driving wheels, just like a FWD car.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote