View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: selecting the best used car for my needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat70 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions on makes, models, and anecdotal evidence from all you car experts out there on which car(s) would make the most sense for my needs (listed below).
Basically, I'm looking for something that will fulfill the following:
+ reliability in bad winter weather (I live near Boston and the winters can be rough on a car; I don't want to get stuck in the snow too much)
+ reasonable gas mileage
+ relatively low maintenance and repair costs
+ can transport a mid-size guitar amp
+ under $10K

Many thanks for any suggestions!!
Like MagicRat said FWD is the best option for this member in this case. While Boston doesn't see as bad of a winter as what MagicRat and I get, they still need a good vehicle to get around. the price kind of limits the field a bit as my first thoughts were one of the newer crossover type vehicles as they offer good handling plus plenty of room to haul passengers and cargo, and are fairly decent on the gas mileage, and maintenance costs. (Properly maintaining any vehicle can keep overall fuel and maintenance costs lower, and that includes preventative maintenance.) The only problem is most of these newer crossovers aren't anywhere near the price point the OP is looking for, and won't be for a few more years. That leaves other vehicles that could fit the bill like a minivan or sport wagon. I've been driving a minivan the past decade with a good set of snow tires and have had no issues.The maintenance costs are fairly low and the gas mileage is between 18 to 22 mpg.
Searching through some of the forums here on this site can give one a good idea as to what specific issues keep popping up that need attention. That can help make the decision as to what vehicle might be a good choice to fit their needs.
Also searching through the online inventories of larger used car dealers in their area can give them a good idea of what is available and the current costs for these vehicles. you can shop in the leisure of your home and see which vehicles fit your need for hauling and some even have additional info such as mpg. Then you have a better idea of what to look for when you go out and visit the dealers themselves, or private sellers.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote