View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
Eric Cole
AF Enthusiast

Re: MFH 1/12 Porsche 956 Short Tail Ver. 'B'

Just a small update...

The kit's white metal parts that make up the chassis and monocoque has small divots that are supposed to represent rivets. I wanted to add rivets but after researching the small scale rivets that are available I decided to make my own. The reason I decided to make my own is 1) cost of after market rivets and by a rough count it's around 1300 rivets that would be needed, and 2) the ones I found that I could buy in (somewhat bulk) were stainless steel. I didn't want the expense and I didn't want to have to cut stainless steel rivets to length.

So, I "made" rivets using .4mm soldering wire.

First, I started by cutting the wire into small pieces at a length that made it easy to work with.

Next, I drilled all the molded divots a little deeper the allow the wire (rivet) to sit deeper into the part.

Using needle point tweezers I picked up each cut piece of solder and dipped one end in superglue.

I placed each rivet (piece of solder) in the hole and allowed to dry.

Once dry and set in place I used and sanding stick and sanded them all down to an even and consistent level.

And the final result after primer...

May not be perfect but it represents a rivet more than not having them at all and the soft solder is really easy to cut and work with.

Other Model Pictures Here:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/justdande/
Eric Cole is offline   Reply With Quote