View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Ralph50
AF Regular

Re: Should I replace the fuel pump?

2000 Lesabre 132k miles/ pump from rock auto,,, Delphi 127 dollars
My gauge has been off for a year and finally replaced the entire pump.
This is almost funny because I just came in the house after replacing my pump asm. Its cold out today so I heated the garage then had to shut off the heater when I got the ring loose. Still got cold.
I removed the fuel connection at the Engine so this will release the pressure. Im not so sure about pulling the fuse idea cause it might cause a fault code in the computer.
I rented a fuel pump removal tool from autozone, you buy it then return it for full refund. That connection ring was really tight even with a breaker bar on the tool, the tool did not fit like the gm tool and have to push down really hard to keep the tool engaged on the connection ring. Was tough getting the ring fully installed. I had to put a bottle jack on top of the tool and jacked up to where it hits to shelf, basically this put downward pressure on the tool and allowed me to torque the ring in place.
I put grease over all the rusted steel on the top of the tank, hopefully rust will stop, also I always use silicone grease on orings so i put some on the tank seal, also put some on a clean stick and put some on the orings inside the fuel connection, these sometimes leak and silicone can help stop this.
All done car started fuel gage looks ok.
Ralph50 is offline   Reply With Quote