View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 AM   #42
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need some help with car buying please :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate742
My parents came from colombia and israel, they both grew up with only stick. The only valid point my dad has given me is that a manual has a higer chance of breaking (which i dont think is that valid) (like you said ventureowner). But a manual is cheaper to maintain, whereas a new clutch can cost $800. To fix an automatic can cost double that. Its a sportscar, but my mom knows i dont drive fast, i drive her car everywhere, perfect driving record, nothing. Mom loves the celica as a matter of fact.
Your right about the xterra, not the best mileage, but hell i just dont know anymore, any accords i find are either too high in mileage (150k +) or out of my budget, i swear that celica was just perfect, ill see if i can convince dad to let me. But tell me, what are the serious chances of breaking the clutch in a stick car for a novice manual driver? Dad is stubborn as a rock, and he will keep this grudge untill hes 105 and once the clutch breaks hell tell me I TOLD YOU NOT TO GET A MANUAL and i know it will be coming. But hell i will regret not getting this car i know for a fact. $6500 for an 83,000 mile 2000 toyota celica gts with all sorts of mods and upgrades, sheesh i hate being broke, id buy it in a heartbeat if i had cash for insurance. Once i buy this car ill have to pay back a 2000-2500 loan to grandparents, and i dunno how i can pay insurance during that time, after that, no problem.
As long as you don't ride the clutch a whole lot when learning, then it should last for quite a while. However replacing the clutch is far cheaper than replacing the tranny. As for cost, that really depends on the vehicle. I've seen clutch replacement go for as low as $550. When you drive a stick, you don't let off the clutch too early, but you don't want to stay on it long at all either. After driving for a few days you should be able to figure out the "medium". I think its a lot harder to break a manual tranny than an automatic, personally, just because of the availability of a clutch. I also think a manual will last longer just because its more difficult to break, but both types will last a long time when used with care and proper maintenence.

BTW, getting a modded vehicle generally isn't a good idea.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote