View Single Post
Old 05-15-2003, 11:48 AM   #43
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
Here is a pic, installed.

Basically, a 2 piece or floating rotor consists of the hat, and the disk. The hat is aluminium, and is mounted onto the disk by 10 bolts. The aluminium acts as a better heat sink, and it makes the rotor much lighter than the normal rotor. 5lbs lighter each, this is sprung weight of course which is a big bonus. Where the hat mounts to the disk is where the play is, this is to allow for expansion of the disk, because the disk primary function is to take the moving energy of the car and convert it into kinetic energy. And what happens Ladies (as Moppie so elegantly stated in his previous post) when this action takes place, that right it creates heat. Floating rotors will less likely warp, because of the way they are engineered.

I will say this, it did help in dropping the stopping distance dramatically going to the floating disks, not sure if its because of the slots or the increase ability of the rotor to dissipate heat, but you can tell a difference. I would be willing to bet its the heat dissipation ability. With holes in a rotor, the rotor will heat up faster, because of the loss of mass. Yes, it does have a little better ability to dissipate heat, but there will be a point depending on its load, were the x-drilled rotor will fail.

If you guys do look for some, the float, or play should not be more than .2mm. Since I am in England they use the metric system, if you convert that to our standard system, I believe it would be close to same distance that Robert Horry's game winning shot was off in game 5

I am willing to learn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p0000001.jpg (55.5 KB, 100 views)

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.

Last edited by SkylineUSA; 05-15-2003 at 12:29 PM.