View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #75
imster
AF Newbie

Re: Honda NSR500 (1984)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
No - Imster that is not the silver wire I'm talking about - 0.17 mm is too large of a diameter - remember large safety wire is 0.32 inch.

The silver wire strands I use for safety wire are the wire strands that come with the electrical connectors made by Top Studio - TD23003

I strip the black insulation off and then use just one of the silver strands -
I'll PM you a picture - if I can figure out how.

Didn't you have a CBR1000RR that you took to the track?

I raced unlimited superbikes here in the USA in AMA National and CCS regional races on a CBR900RR from 94'-98' until I was paralyzed in a street accident.

John

Hey Imster - I went back through all your pics of the 84' NSR500 build - and YES you are correct - the silver wire strand you used on the pink/red tubing where it connects to the fuel tank on the right side is what I use for the safety wire on the hand grips.

A couple of additional questions though - how did you do the numbers "1" and "3" on the front cylinder heads - is that a decal??

Also did you drill the fork legs for all those bolts?? if yes, how did you manage that without the drill bit slipping off or not going through straight??

Cheers
John
No I never had the opportunity to race, would love to though or at least try out a track day. I had a z1000 until I had an accident and broke my shoulder (still doing physio weekly to get it sorted out). I am planning to get another motorcycle in the next few months although my wife is dead against the idea.

The 1 and the 3 were done freehand with some acrylic white paint and a paintbrush. Painting the 3 was especially difficult!

The fork legs were all drilled out. Before I drilled I used a scalpel to cut into where the bolt goes through, then I drilled straight from each side until they met in the middle. When I drill holes I always first use an old airbrush needle to mark and indent where the drill bit will drill into. I then always do my first hole with a 0.2mm drill bit, check to see if its centred, if its not centred then I adjust with my needle and drill with a 0.3mm bit to correct it. Once I am happy that the hole is centred and going in the correct direction I work my way up through the drill bits until I get to the size I require. Takes a lot longer but ensures everytime that the hole is straght and centred.
imster is offline   Reply With Quote