View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #83
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

Re: Replacing intake gasket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryitnow View Post
Dorman worked for me. I suspect any name brand will do the trick if installed properly.

Generally there is a good reason for providing a torque sequence and specification.
Follow it. To do otherwise is taking chances.

The question was, is there a different torque procedure for the aftermarket steel gaskets, than the one specified for the GM composite/with spacer gaskets. There is no spec sheet in the Dorman package and I haven't seen a Felpro instruction sheet for theirs (which looks identical to the Dorman, with triple raised sealing surfaces on steel plating). Thanks. -Andy

Yes the revised torque spec applies to all the replacement gaskets, Dorman and Felpro. I don't think the GM gasket has a different torque spec, higher or lower. The new torque spec is the same and applies equally to all revised gaskets regardless of brand.

I haven't used the Dorman, but it might be a Chinese knock off of the Felpro. I believe Felpro comes with a torque spec sheet and a few extras over the Dorman but you have to get the bolts separately. The Dorman bolts used with the felpro kit would be fine. Some people say the Dorman worked OK. Heck for all I know they might be manufactured in the same place, but it's a Felpro design andwhen replacing a gasket so critical for a few dollars more I'd want the Felpro name in case Dorman is a cheaper knock off.
manicmechanix is offline   Reply With Quote