View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #36
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Re: Machining Discussion-Lathes, Mills, CNC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionc
Well some updates from my "lathe odessy" : I just haven't any tool now! My brother in law keep all my tools to grinding those!!! He learn me also abt the longitudinal metric scale, and some other stuff: so nothing lathe games for a couple days! Today I also replace my broken mill 1mm bit: this become to be a quetly expencive sub-hobbye!! Well, friends, not tools, not pics! Hoping to have something tomorrow night.
gionc,

Please keep us informed as to your findings...I'm probably only a couple of days behind you in finding the same problem!

Another useful website is here - lots of info on tool grinding too.
http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm

A word of warning on your Chinese lathe. If your b-i-l looks at the machine he will probably suggest removing some backlash (slop) out of the cross-slide. This can be done by VERY carefully adjusting a combination of the 2 x M4 and 1 x M3? allen bolts. The bolts screw to a brass nut under the cross-slide and the nut tilts around on the centre smaller bolt - the more tilt the less slop. This nut is very soft brass and it's really easy to strip the threads. The thread was only half there on mine from new so I ordered a new one immediately when I was taking mine apart.

Good luck,