View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 06:06 PM   #11
CamaroSSBoy346
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CamaroSSBoy346
1:24 Scale Tamiya Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo Z32 Fairlady

If you have been hanging around this board for awhile. you would have noticed the Tamiya 300ZX is becoming very popular. Any shouldnt it? The 300ZX was a hot import, and still is. This kit is also very popular because it has engine detail. Unlike most of Tamiya's curbsides. Who wouldnt like the oppertunity to build a 280HP Twin turbo 3.0L V6 in 1:24 scale?

The body shell is typical tamiya quality. Excellent. Due to the fact that i am not a 300ZX Z32 expert, i cannot tell you that the body is accurate, but being the fact that it is a tamiya, i am certain it is correct. The only problem i had was the t-tops kept sinking to low, making the center T bar look too thick. Even with that, its still a plus compared to the Fujimi 300ZX which doesnt even include T-Tops. I also like the front light bar, it features seperate lenses, unlike the Fujimi, which is all molded as one piece. It also gives the option of having a clear hood, very cool indeed, but if its warped, its basically worthless. Because its clear, you cant bend it back into shape with out cracking it. Trust me, i found out the hard way. 8.5/10

The engine is also acceptable. The engine is very accurate, and isnt simplified like many other tamiya cars with engine detail. Some problems with it i had a few, and minor. The first one being the directions. It tells you to paint the front engine cover grey or aluminum. This would be incorrect, after viewing other 1:1 300ZX's the front engine cover is black. Another thing i have a problem is with the passenger side intake pipe is supposted to attach to the radiator. Unfortunatly, it doesnt fit flush with the radiator. 8.5/10

The suspension is pretty simplified, but it does the job. The only problem i have with the chassis is the exhaust system looks big, dumb and clumsy, and the tips have different sized holes in them, making them look retarded. Also, the front suspension has a little camber to it, and the tie rod is abit too long (making the wheels appear turned/look like a V) 8.5/10

The interior is good, but i've had a stroke of bad luck with it. The 1:1 cars had 2 tone interiors, and my paint kept running, so i just painted it all flat black. The shifter looks kinda toy-like. What i like about it is, the gauge pod consists of 2 main parts. The back, and top. No more crooked gauge faces! w000! This car has alot of detail, compared to the Fujimi 300zx insdie, the tamiya features the back strut bar, and the luggage belts. It also comes with a big flat area to put some nitrous bottles in their if you please. Also, the seat backs look a little thin. 9/10

Value on this kit is exceptionally well, A: Its a tamiya B: It has an engine C: I picked mine up for $17.99. 9.5/10

1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 302 H.O, A9L ECU swap, 65mm TB, 73mm Granetelli MAF, FRPP 30lb injectors, Walbro 255, MSD ignition, Powerdyne BD11 supercharger, Efans, T-5 swap w/ FRPP flywheel, Ram HDX clutch and adjustable Steeda clutch quadrant, 4.10 gears, Nitto NT555R radials
2000 OBS Tahoe Z71 6k HIDs, 33" Goodyears. 280k mile daily beater
CamaroSSBoy346 is offline   Reply With Quote