View Single Post
Old 12-29-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Revell 1969 John Greenwood Corvette Roadster (1/25th)

I posted this in a separate thread before. So I'll just copy paste the review here.

If you're a fan of muscle cars, Corvettes, or vintage sports racers, you've probably noticed this one on your local hobby shop shelf recently and written it off as another half-baked reissue of the same C3 Vette we've been getting from Revell since the mid-80's. Well, I picked one up today and found that this is not completely the case.

For starters, the kit is based on the Owens Corning Vette racer kit that was released under the Monogram label. However, this car discards the Owens Corning SCCA A-production car's cutdown windscreen and #1 graphics for a complex stars and stripes motif with the #48, and a full size Vette windshield.

The decals are your typical Cartograf goodies. Lamentable, the "new headlights" which are supposed to replicate the lovely fixed headlights that the prototype used, are decals which are applied over the stock lids and under clear lenses. The lenses are incredibly well molded, and the decals would work fine if it weren't for the fact that they snuggle down into the panel lines for the headlight lids. If you build this kit as the Greenwood car, make sure to fill those panel lines.

Now, the kit itself has some real bright spots. For starters, it contains one beautiful rendition of the Chevy 427, with really good fit. Especially on the valve covers. The separate fuel pump, oil filter, and starter are all great pieces. One detractor, though, is the oil pan as it's molded onto the block halves. One more piece to sand smooth. It's a shame, since this is a separate piece on the 1967 Vette 427. It's a near perfect factory L88. Problem is, this car didn't race with a factory stock 427. A good open element air cleaner and aluminum intake manifold will be acceptable enough to make this more of a "race" engine.

Suspension wise, it's accurate and detailed. It'll rival most any regular Tamiya kit for detail, and goes together easily. Some separate disc brakes would have been appreciated, though. Ah well, a trip to the parts box or to the closest Fujimi wheel/tire set can fix that if you want some. Though Brembos aren't exactly accurate for this year of car.

In the interior, it's a pretty straightforward tub approach with separate side panels and a panel dashboard to represent a generic racing piece. No gauge decals are included (strange in comparison to Revell's current standard practice) but the gauges are so well molded a schizoid chimp on amphetamines could paint them properly. The classic style racing buckets and roll bar with molded-in-place fire extinguisher are both great touches.

Now, the body is another great story. Beyond the fact that this is the best C3 Corvette on the market, this kit brings back stellar rear fender flares from (again) the Owens Corning kit. Thes fit quite well, and look great filled with the Goodyear Blue Streak specials and deep dish Torq-Thrusts included in the kit. Trust me when I tell you that THESE are the tires that should've been included in the Baldwin-Motion Vette coupe re-release from earlier this year. (of course, the lousy old GT Radials in that kit can be improved upon by grabbing the o-ring out of your kitchen faucet and slipping that onto the wheels). It's a little questionable that the sidewall lettering was excised from these well-known tires (they're most famous for their inclusion in the Revell's famous '32 Ford Coupe street rod kit. By the way, this Vette does have different Torq-Thrusts than those in that kit) It's all capped off by two lustrous HUGE headers and side dumps that, honestly, I'd use on any other Trans-Am style muscle car. They're that good.

One little niggle, though, is the bare plastic grille and rear bumpers. I know this is a race car, but these parts need to be chrome. Ah well, Chrome-Tech USA anyone? Also, beware the mold lines that bisect the door handles in the little crevasse of the rear fender. They're hell to remove, and you'll probably lose the door handle in the process.

Now, if you're not into the classic sports racer vibe, well, except for the dashboard, wheels, and tires, you can build this kit totally street stock. The stock exhaust pipes and exhaust manifolds, and the side chrome trim, remain in the kit. It's great to have all this goodness.

So what's the bottom line in this kit? Well, it's a modified reissue of one of the best kits Revell did in the 80's that contains very worthwhile optional parts that haven't been available for ages on end. It's combination of good engraving, logical parts breakdown, and low cost (LHS stocked it for $16.80.) make it a truly good kit, and the unique subject matter (even if it's not 100% accurately represented) makes it really a great piece.

If you need a C3 Vette Roadster, Torq-Thrusts for that muscle car project, a 427 for that Chevy hot rod, or seats for a vintage SCCA style project (Datsun 510 guys listen up), this is the kit to get.

Final Rating 9.5/10

Hope plenty of other guys get in on this.