View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Audi R8C LeMans 1999 Provence Moulage 1:43

Hi there

Here we go with some actual building progress.
Naturally I first worked on the body. As I mentioned before it was quite nice over all and I had to address only two “major” issues.
First up here’s a picture of the primered body after this first batch of mods i made:

No1 were the “side pods” or rather the radiator ducts in them. The holes were only about half as deep as necessary ( casting issue I’d say…) and there was only space for half a radiator each. To make things even easier the kit comes without any radiators…:-).
I carved away all the material from the insides, then built up the holes with sheet plastic and refilled the back sides with polyester putty. Here’s a close up:

I also deepened and thinned the walls of the turbo ducts on top of the side pods.

The other issue was the opening for the windows ( or DLO as the car guys say :-). It was too narrow ( not high enough ). I lowered the lower edge by 0,8mm on the mill. That was helped by the fact that this edge runs horizontally.

Because of that I also had to move the NACA-duct on the nose forward, but it was too small anyway. Here it’s still not right but will be fixed.
I also thinned out the roll hoop because it hardly left enough space to look out of the car :-)

At the rear end the kit provides decals for the lights….. Couldn’t leave it like that.
I lowered the surface for some extra bits to be added and also thinned out the wall thickness of the bodywork’s trailing edge.

In the roof i milled these venting holes. The kit also provides stickers for these…..tststs.

Then I rescribed and deepened all the shutlines. I was afraid they would disappear with all the layers of paint to come.
I also deepened the headlight housings. This one here looks a bit crooked but that will be fixed.

Finally I thinned out those fins behind the front wheels. The had to be more massive for casting again and I sanded them thin from the back side.

Here’s a picture of the diffuser after priming ( soldered from kit PE bits ) and those two planks that go under the sills as the ground plate in the open area behind the front wheels.

That’s it for now. More filing and sanding to do and other details to come.
I didn’t photograph every single little step this time but I think you get the picture :-)

Thanks for looking!
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote