View Single Post
Old 06-26-2004, 11:29 PM   #42
CamaroSSBoy346
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CamaroSSBoy346
Re: KIT REVIEWS....Look in here to see other modellers veiws on kits

Revell 19XX Impala SS

A wolfs in sheeps clothing i tell ya! Okay, maybe a puppy in sheeps clothing. Lets face it, 260 horsepower and 4000 lbs just dont go together very well. Yea, it has an LT1......and 4 four doors. The 1994-1996 Impala makes a great sleeper car, due the the mods avaible for the LT1. The looks of this thing a just menacing, a car that should have been used in the Sopranos. Their were not many choices avaible for this car. Only one engine, LT1, one interior color, grey, and 3 colors. Monochromatic Black, Black Cherry, and a greenish color, that i do not know that name of.

In case you didnt know, this is the reissue of the Snap Tite Impala, so its a little tight fitting and details lacking.

This Impala SS came with the 9C1 intake, which is correct and incorrect at the same time. From all the referance pictures i gathered, it came with the Camaro/Firebird/Corvette upper and lower intake. A bit confusing, and lacking in details. The heads and lower intake and exhaust manifold are all molded as one piece. The belts pulleys, and water pump are all molded as one unit also. The lower intake manifold, has the connection for a radiator hose, but no hose is included, nor is their a sport for one in the radiator. Strange, and incorrect. The radiator hose should be mounted atop the water pump.. Your best bet? Loose the Impala SS LT1 and intall a much more detailed LT1 from revells pre 98 Camaro kits, or their pre 98 firebird kits. Thats what i was planning to do before i found an LS1..

The body is nicley molded. It comes with a seperate trunk lip/spoiler, and side mirrors. If your trying to replicate a 1996 verson, the mirors would be incorrect. New for '96 were the fold away mirrors. Also on a few of my kits, the body is a little warped, leaving a big gap inbetween the fender and the hood. Anyways, the hood doesnt fit right, with that big grille and a latch on the grille. Speaking of that, the grille is incorrect, it should be the body color, not chrome. Chrome parts are used from the Thom Taylor Caprice wagon, so it will come with a few odd parts.

The interior is mediocre. standard 2 piece seats, molded back seat in interior tub, but the dashboard is just stupid. Its two sepeate pieces, and dont fit together very well. Also incorrect is the steering column shift, it should be on the floor, once again sharing parts with the Caprice kits. But it does come with a seperate CHMSL (that and tail lights are molded in clear red)

The suspension is also standard revell quality. Dont be suprised to find it to be under detaled. Its just like every other revell, so i dont think i have to say much about it. Yes, it comes with the incorrect 17 inch 5 spoke chrome wheels (should be machined aluminum) and silly-stupid rubber-wannabe plastic tires.

Problems? Besides what was stated above, it has the snap tite lights, with the stupid stubs, which you can see on the other side of the light. Trying to get the bezel in the fender with out chipping the paint, and trying to get the lens into the bezel with out breaking it.

Value wise, its a good kit. Most of these can be had at garage sales for $2-$5 simply because their older kits, and have been circualted many-a-time. If bought new, expect to pay the normal $10-$15 revell price.

Accuracy: 1.5/3 Depends almost accuratly depicts 1994-1995 models, but ignores 1996 stuff. Remember, no year was said
Fit&Finish: .5/2 remember, old re-issued snap kit?
Detail: .5/1.5 ^above?
Options: 0/1.5 1 engine, 3 colors.
Value: 1.5/2
Final Verdict: 6.5/10
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 302 H.O, A9L ECU swap, 65mm TB, 73mm Granetelli MAF, FRPP 30lb injectors, Walbro 255, MSD ignition, Powerdyne BD11 supercharger, Efans, T-5 swap w/ FRPP flywheel, Ram HDX clutch and adjustable Steeda clutch quadrant, 4.10 gears, Nitto NT555R radials
2000 OBS Tahoe Z71 6k HIDs, 33" Goodyears. 280k mile daily beater
CamaroSSBoy346 is offline   Reply With Quote