View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
davidm303
AF Newbie

crankshaft will not turn

Hi, a year ago I had an issue with the antifreeze leaking from the cylinder head. I replaced the head gasket and had the head resurfaced. Though, by accident, I polished the cylinder bores with a 1000 grit wet sand paper with using wd40 and the grit I didnt clean damaged the piston rings, I think, because one piston had a compression leak.
So, a few days later, I removed the heads, opened the engine's bottom, then I proceeded as follows:
removed the pistons from the top; cleaned the pistons; honed the cylinder bores to remove the glaze; installed new piston rings; replaced the
oil pump; primed the oil pump by hand; turned the crankshaft by hand a few times; put everything back; removed the spark plug connectors to let the car auto prime before turning it on. Then, I started the car.
The car turned on smoothly, I didn't see a leak, hear a squeal, or get a compression leak as according to the compression tester. I didnt drive the car after it turned on because it was late, I was tired, and I thought I had succeeded in rebuilding my engine.
When I tried to turn the car on the next day, it didnt start. I saw that the serpentine belt wasn't moving while having my dad turn the key. As a precaution, I replaced the battery, alternator, starter, and checked the fuses in case it was an electrical issue; everything checked out fine. After I installed all new toys for my car, I noticed that the car didnt turn over or crank. It sounds like it's an electrical issue because the starter doesnt seem to engage, though new and tested to be in good working order.
I've invested a lot of money and time on this car, but it's mine, and I won't give up. At this point, is there anything I forgot to do? Can you help me?
I can turn the crankshaft using a breaker bar and elbow grease. The crankshaft and camshaft sensors are new. The oxygen sensors are new. The cat converter is new.
My best guess is that my error was not removing the engine from the car. I honed the cylinder bores with the crankshaft still on, but I was careful not to go in too deep and touch the crankshaft. I also was careful to protect the crankshaft with a linen-free clothe and use transmission oil while honing the bores.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am gt 4.3l v6

Last edited by davidm303; 01-12-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: clarification
davidm303 is offline   Reply With Quote