View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #203
Hanss
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultear View Post
Same problem here. Googled my problem and found this site. Great thread BTW.

I almost have the same problem, but I do have alittle heat coming out the vents, but when I rev up the engine to about 2500-3000 RPM also, the blower motor kicks into high gear (Blows faster) and I get more heat out of the vents.

I have read the whole thread
-resister block for variable fan speed
-Blower Motor Relay for proper amps (40A)

Could my problem be the blower motor relay. My problem sounds like my blower motor not getting enough amps to spin at full RPM. Needs the engine to run at higher rpms to power the blower motor.

My second question would be; what does a AC/heat control module acually do? I read about that module somewheres in this thread also.

Vehicle is a 1994 Grand Voyager 3.8L. Great Vehicle besides dumping the tranny pan every 20000km to change the fluids filter. leant my lesson about these trannys when I had to actually replace my last one, $2500, ouch.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Guys,

I had this problem about 2 years ago. Unfortunately It has nothing to do with blower motor or thermal resistor and relay. If you have to rev the engine up about 2K-3K RPMs in order to get heated flow - you are facing another problem.
It looks like the problem with your engine cooling system. I belive you don't have enough coolant fluid (Antifreeze). Based on my experience if
you rev the engine up to 3K RPMs you need to add coolant fluid about 1.0L-1.5L more. That means you are losing coolant somewhere. Just check your coolant level.

When you rev your engine up and running the engine on higher RPMs you increasing the pressure inside your cooling system, that means you increasing coolant circulation inside of cooling system, that is why you can get heated air flow on higher RPMs. Because your heater is a part of cooling system.

There are several reasons for coolant losing: coolant pump, engine radiator, heater radiator, coolant system hoses.
You need to perform a "high pressure test" to find out where is a leak and why you are losing coolant. It's possible only on dealership or prof. automotive mechanic.

AC/heat control module just managing air flow whatever it is cold or hot. Cold air flow comming from AC (if it's ON) or from outside, hot air flow coming from engine cooling system. That is a key factor of your problem.

It's Winter time......, so temporarily solution is just check your coolant level and add more coolant up to level mark. But you'll never know how long you can run on it.
It's better to go to prof. mechanic and solve it.

In my case, after "high pressure test" I've found my coolant pump leaking, replaced it. That's it.

All the best.
Hanss is offline   Reply With Quote