View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1991 Wrangler 2.5 no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJT3 View Post
Thanks for info. Had already tried jumping the pump relay, still will not start. This morning, however, I hooked up a fuel pressure tester. While cranking pressure builds up to around 40 psi, but once cranking is done, it drops precipitously to zero.

Thinking it was a problem with the fuel rail-mounted pressure regulator, I clamped off the return line, expecting pressure to maintain. To my surprise, pressure dropped just as fast. Incidentally, i thought this was especially strange given that when I previously directed the return line to a container, fuel came flowing out when I jumpered the fuel pump relay.

Ruling out other possibilities, i really don’t think the injectors are that leaky. I took them off to test and at most a drip or two *may* have escaped one or two of them. This rapid fuel pressure drop has me at a loss. Is there supposed to be a check valve in the fuel pump that prevents this?

Spraying some starter fluid in it can get it to start occasionally, but it dies a split second later.

Thanks,

Alex
There is a check in the fuel pump. Check the fuel pimp ground it should be around the frame with a wire coming from the top of the tank to where it is bolted on. If loose it will shut down the engine. Check the ground for the ECM if loose it will shut you down. I would use a 12 volt test light and with the vehicle on a jack stand Unplug the wire feeding the pump. Check if the voltage to the pump is shutting off.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote