View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 08:15 AM   #1
Infinitilover
AF Newbie

Unhappy Any clues for mystery electrical problems?

I have a 93 Infiniti J30 with 78,000 miles on it. The problem: It keeps draining batteries. For example, July 03 put in a new battery myself, Dec. 03, dead so dealer puts in new battery. March 04, dead. Dealer puts in a another new battery and a new alternator ($361). The very next day, it's dead. Dealer puts in a new battery and kept it three days to see if it would start, and it was fine. Now again, Aug. it's dead. Dealer has put in a new battery but can't determine what is wrong.
They tell me when the tow truck brought it in both the battery and alternator were "down." But the next day the car started and the battery and alternator were "up" without them doing anything to it. Does anyone out there have any experience with this or clues as to what they should be looking at? The dealership tells me they have checked fuses. Could it be a moisture problem? We had torrential rains over the weekend and the car sits out on the street. It had been fine on Friday. Dead on Monday. Could something have dried out by the next day?
As additional information, the audio system died about a year and a half ago and I haven't replaced it because I don't know what to put in it. (I have been using a transistor radio - pitiful.) Had an intermittant problem with a headlight and it was fixed in April 04.
Would sure appreciate if any of you Sherlock Holmes mechanics could advise me.
Infinitilover is offline   Reply With Quote