View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
heliosense
AF Newbie

2017 Elantra Vibrations on Cold Start (Start up)

Purchased 2017 Elantra in mid June 2016 in Ontario, Canada.

Car seemed okay until Sept 2016, when it started to feel sluggish going up hills and slightly while accelerating. When the gas pedal was let off I felt the car tug either in gears downshifting or due to something else. Since Sept I have had cold start issues. When sitting for half a day/over night I can easily start my car but then vibrations last for 5-20 secs until the car warms up. RPM gauge doesn't show any issues.

Beg of issues: third week of Sept 2016 I had experienced a large surge after a cold start. (not just vibrations)

Sept 2016 to early Feb 2017: No surges, just vibrations that I consider NOT normal. Dealership said they are normal for all of the same models.

First week of Feb, on a super cold day, I felt pulses in my break pedal while stopped at a red light, while my car surged pretty hard but did not stall. I then called Hyundai about the issue and they mentioned that there was a thermostat stuck open recall and an ECM update called Control Logic Improvement (Performance) Update.

Feb 8: RECALL/CAMPAIGN: C0298 - Elantra ECM update control logic improvement completed and thermostat replaced. The dealership informed me that after doing an AVR test they found that my battery was a little low at 552 CCA when the battery is rated at 640 CCA and recharged it for me. The person I was speaking with also noted that if I let my car sit for too long the battery will drain. Meanwhile, I drive my car daily. Immediately after driving out of the dealership I had noticed that my gears were shifting faster, my car felt much more peppy and I didn't feel the tug when I was slowing down, or the slug when I accelerated. My cabin heat and engine also warmed faster.

Feb 23: Temperature outside goes from winter cold to 15C/60F and car surges and vibrates deeply and feels to want to choke out after cold startup.

Feb 24: Another large surge with vibrations.

In between all of these issues and at present vibrations upon cold start happen almost daily or a few times a week.

July 31: I brought my car in to see if they could find the issue again. Dealership calls and says that they can't find anything wrong with it in codes. I was not happy that my car was only checked for codes. I was not happy. I mentioned my battery needing a charge the last time it was there and so then they ran another AVR test. They then put in a new, stronger, battery with 760 CCA, and yet my issues of cold start vibrations still existed.

Aug 15: August 14 I experienced rough vibrations and was not happy. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in immediately. I recommended that they do physical tests and not just read for codes. I asked for a parasitic battery drain test and alternator test. Done! They also did an AVR test again. Battery test came back rated 760 CCA and measured 697 CCA, voltage 12.76V at 25C. Starter test "Cranking Normal" Voltage: 11.30V 0.0 amps and time: 546mS. Charging System Test came back as no problems found. No load: 14.43V and Loaded: 14.26V. Ripple test 41mV.

"have not been able to confirm any faults"
"no codes"
"checked and confirmed charging system is good"
"verified parasitic draw is normal (1-2 milliohms) after vehicle shut down"
"improved grounds in engine compartment"
"customer has requested customer service relations number"

The dealership did say that maybe an update will come out to correct the issues that they can't troubleshoot.

I am fed up with this. Again, today, my car was heavily vibrating upon cold start. The dealership basically chalked it up to these vibrations as being normal in these models. I have wracked my head and don't want to learn how to become a mechanic to fix my issues. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading

Heidi
heliosense is offline   Reply With Quote