View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004, 08:03 PM   #22
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Re: Airbrush user, we need you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric
Hi

After looking several threads here, I saw there were no databases of paint for airbrush. Those of you that use Airbrush, you can help lot of modeller by giving us few detail about your paint.

Here the information that we would need to make a nice database.
Paint Brand: Tamiya (decanted TS and acrylic) Testor, Model Masters (Decanted lacquer, enamel and acrylic) Alcad2 and Krylon (decanted), Nason (PPG) 2-part clear.

Paint Type: Enamel, Lacquer, Acrylic, synthetic lacquer and 2-part automotive enamel.

Mix Ratio: Each bottle of paint requires a different mixture of thinner to paint. I generally start at 1:1 and adjust from there.

PSI used:(how many pressure you use ?) It depends on what I'm shooting. Generally 12-15 for gloss or semigloss coats. 15-20 for semigloss and 20-25 for Metallizers.

Thinner used: (Type and brand) Model Master (black can) for all enamels. Tamiya acrylic thinner for large semi-gloss surfaces and metallics. Windex, IPA and a little bit of liquid soap for flat coats or small pieces. The decanted Tamiya TS paints, while thinned already inside the can, get an additional shot of "general purpose paint thinner" to slow the drying time and help the paint flow-out. Alcad2 uses no thinner. Nason uses the "gp paint thinner" from above.

Cleaner used: (What you use to clean your airbrush with this type of paint) Simple Green breaks down all acrylic and enamel paints. Windex and IPA will clean strictly acrylic and straight acetone will clean EVERYTHING and it's very cheap too boot.

Bill

p.s. I use an Aztek A470 with a Badger silent air compressor including tank, moisture trap and regulator.
bvia is offline   Reply With Quote