View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: HYUNDAI cars are WORTHLESS!

Wow! You have an opinion which you like to express but have no wavering. That's conviction, no matter what other facts have been brought up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofpan
My friend we have different opinions on this. So, can you tell me in what areas the auto makers cut the cost? Because you agree that they have to cut the cost. As I wrote before, quality is the easiest way to cut cost.
Where did we differ on our opinions here? I stated that it is possible to cut costs without cutting quality and you stated that the easiest way to cut cost was to cut quality. Why are these two thoughts mutually exclusive? You CAN cut costs by finding better priced suppliers or by removing details that the owner will never touch, and these things will not lower the quality of the vehicle.

Quote:
What of these have Hyundai? In my opinion, none. Or to be fair, the only good point from my experience is the finish, because the "body" of my Accent has no rusts in tde decade I have it.
As it has been pointed out earlier, your experience with Hyundai quality is ONE 1998 model year, entry-level vehicle. Since I have driven dozens of Hyundai models ranging from the 1993 Scoupe to the current lineup, I feel I have a bit wider range of experience than you. Modern Hyundais (ones built since, say 2000) have smooth engines, good fit and finish to interior and exterior panels, good gas mileage, reasonable power, and good reliability. And all that for a price lower than competitive vehicles. That sounds like a good quality car to me.

Quote:
You said durability (for the description of Quality). Do you find that my Accent has durability with all of these problems that appears?
Let's return to the point made by the other two posters (lowsonoma1999 and myself) on this thread: Hyundai has made vast improvements in quality since your car was built a decade ago. The description of how good or bad your vehicle is/was has very little to do with how good or bad the brand is today.

Quote:
But I disagree because my friend's OPEL Kadett of '78 is much more stronger, with better durability and general with better quality than my '98 Accent.
And I'm sure that my 1991 Suzuki puts BOTH of these cars to shame. What's the point? These are three isolated vehicles. Your Accent should not be used as the base case for all of the Hyundais built over the past 35 years nor should your friend's Kadett be used to base Opel's quality over the past 110 years. Cars of today are FAR more durable than cars of the 1970s or 1980s because they live longer on average. Today's cars are EXPECTED to reach 10 years and 100,000 miles with little effort where 20 years ago, that was the exception and not the rule. Those 25-year old Kadetts are strong because those INDIVIDUAL vehicles have survived. How about the 98% of them that have not? Your measure of two generations of vehicles is based on the surviving few?

And even with all of the new technology, today's cars break down less, are less expensive to maintain on average, and last longer than cars of ANY OTHER ERA. It's a fact. Your two examples are the anomalies.

Quote:
If I am wrong, why nobody till now, hasn't explain the "equations". You have read them. Can you explain WHY HYUNDAI -after more than 20 years in the game- HAS LOW RESALE VALUE ?...So the only explanation of Hyundais Low Resale Value is that the owners of Hyundais are morons?
No. My explanation is that people in general are short-sighted. You, for example, believe that ALL Hyundais are bad because you got one that has not lived up to your expectations. No matter that Hyundai has improved its quality in the last decade dramatically. No matter that Hyundai has introduced TWO generations of your car since, improving the designed-in quality each time. No matter that they feel confident enough that their accountants have allowed them to take the risk on a 10-year/100,000 mile warranty in the US.

If you look at Ford products, for example. Their quality ratings rank up with the best in their class and yet their resale values haven't climbed. On the other hand, Honda and Toyota's quality ratings have fallen a bit, and still you see their resale value high. Why is that? Because public opinion LAGS behind reality. Additionally, surveys lag behind reality since it simply takes time to gather the information...which takes additional time to inform the public and even more time for their opinions to change. Heck, YOU won't believe me and I have spent years working in the automotive industry, much closer to the products and the companies than you.

Quote:
Sorry mate, but if HYUNDAI didn't succeed to persuade me that I own one of its cars (the Accent) and I have tested a decade, and if it hasn't persuade the whole market (cars owners) for the quality of its cars, then HYUNDAI has a serious problem.
You just like to prove my point. You have owned ONE Hyundai. Hyundai has sold MILLIONS of cars and trucks since then. They've introduced dozens of models. And they have millions of satisfied customers. I don't think your one example is going to alter that fact that I can find you dozens who will tell the opposite story. I even know people who have had Hyundai Excels and they swear by (not at) them! I won't even defend that car...but they will. The point is not all that different than the one you're trying to make.

Quote:
So what do you suggest?
That you open your mind a little bit. You car is one out of ten million or so Hyundais built in recent years. Just because your car was bad, doesn't mean they haven't improved in a decade...half a generation!

If you don't want to buy another Hyundai, that's entirely up to you and it can be blamed on Hyundai's lagging quality oh so many years ago. I won't argue against you. But for you to say that your 10-year old car is the prime example of why Hyundai doesn't make good cars today, I'd have to say you're sadly misinformed.
Quote:
And lets say for the goodfaith of the conversation that Hyundai finally improved the quality of its products. Because you and our friend lowsonome1999 agreed that in the older years Hyundai's quality was bad.
Interior quality, improved powertrains, higher quality materials, better suppliers...etc. You stating that your car hasn't rusted proves that they've found better quality metals since the 1980s. Why can't you believe that they have improved the rest of the car as well? The engine in your Accent was their first self-developed engine when it came out in 1992. Since then, they've improved their engines to the point that Hyundai's design was chosen over Mitsubishi's and Chrysler's when the three companies created the Global Engine joint-venture.

The world changes. Car companies improve or die. Hyundai has improved. You can choose to accept reality or deny it. It's your choice.