View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: HYUNDAI cars are WORTHLESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofpan
Yes, we agree on that. Hyundai's quality in the past (let's say 10 to 15 years ago did suck. Our difference is that you say that in the years that followed, hyundai improved a lot its quality and you said that it became better than some japanese brands.

[color=black][font=Arial]I don't agree with that. I don't like to say the same things but every car industry by the pressure of low cost, year by year, reduces the quality. Isn't it obvious that cars of any brand, lasted more in the past 10 or 20 years than today's cars? All those guys that read our topic can confirm this. And it is logical.
It's perfectly logical that quality would IMPROVE. The automotive industry is VERY competitive. It's competitive on price, on content, and on quality. A car today has FAR higher quality than of cars 20 or 30 years ago and is constantly improving.

You see more of those older cars because there were more of those older cars. When Volkswagen had its best year in the US with the Type 1 (Beetle), it sold more of them than Volkswagen sells of all its models combined today. There were years where the best-selling Chevrolet or Ford models sold over a million units...today the best selling car line is lucky to sell 400,000 units.

Quality is measured in terms of reliability, fit and finish, and durability. Twenty or thirty years ago, you were proud to say that your car made it to 100,000 miles. Today, I'm always surprised when someone reports a major problem BEFORE 100,000 miles. I've got 160,000 mostly trouble free miles on a 17-year old car that was ranked among the LOWEST quality on the road in 1991.

Yes, car makers have cut costs to be competitive on price. But they've also improved vehicles in many other areas to be competitive on quality...and Hyundai is among the biggest of them. Today's Hyundai models are worlds better than the Accent of 1998 or the Excel of 1986 or the Pony of 1984. If you look at quality rankings, you'll see that the number of problems reported has gone down for almost all brands over the past 5, 10, 15, and 20 years. This is the measure of improved quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofpan
You are wrong because you:
  • overestimate the size of Hyundai sales (the other I mentioned, have already bigger sales, but they have better resale value).
  • underestimate the comprehension, the apperception of Hyundai owners in recent times, because you are telling that even they have good cars with quality and they are happy with it, they accept a low resale value from the potential buyers.
[color=black][font=Arial]The Hyundai owners in recent times are not morons to sell low, something that has a great value (their car). [b]
Hyundai IS one of the largest selling brand in North America. It's a fact. In the US (I don't have the Canadian numbers in front of me), Hyundai ranks 9th.
Hyundai's resale value is not high because it take a long time for public perception (you being a good example of this) to catch up to the market's actual position. Hyundai does rank relatively high in all quality surveys of its current lineup.