View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #107
Some_Kid
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car modeling... confessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitbash View Post
I start every project with the firm intention of doing a simple, clean, out-of-box build. Soon the project is absolutely out of control, with all the crap I scratchbuild or fix. Shortly after that, I totally burn out and put that project away, never to be seen again. Then, I start a new project and the whole cycle starts over. I have not finished a single thing since 1997. And like everyone else, I spend WAY more time thinking about projects than actually doing something about it, and I have, at this point in my 55-year old life, probably 2000 or so kits in all scales and all brands that will in all likelihood, never, ever get built.

And if I were forced out of this hobby for some reason, you might as well kill me.
Haha I am the exact same way. To limit my ocd detailing tendency I have given myself a few limitations and it seems to help my progress.

1. By all means fix, modify or correct kit pieces that do not represent the real car. Mold lines, seams that do not exist on the 1:1, etc.

2. Add engine detail where possible but not to the point where details cannot be realistically replicated and also not at the expense of cleanliness.

3. Forgo photo etch where possible. Personally unless it’s emblems, mesh grills or certain styles of brakes I think most P/E are a bit unnecessary and can be replicated with bmf or metalizers.

4. Do not attempt body colors not that are not on the TS Spray line. This is just my personal rule at the moment because my airbrush set up isn’t ideal. But basically the way I build models right now is I’ll spray can the body with TS sprays and primarily use Vallejo acrylics and testers metalizers for the inner stuff. I constantly get ghost lines with Duplicolor and Testors lacquer Metallics are essentially pitiful in terms of flake size aside from the GTS blue pearl. I do use some gravity colors silvers but that is an exception because they have the best silver paints for bodies on the market.
Some_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote