View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
maheanuu
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to maheanuu
Re: Oil in Cooling Water (8 Months Later) I need Help!

OK....... Everything was hunky dory until 3 days ago and my son in law came by in the Opel and sure enough, there is oil back in the water and NO mayo in the cam shaft fill area or on the fill cap. Checked the dip stick and the oil is dark, but not mayo'd or with droplets of water on it. It looks like the replacement heat exchanger has failed again or one of the gaskets has decided to leak. I have been told that there is a slight possibility that who ever replaced the head gasket did not torque the bolts down or didn't use the correct pattern in tightening. As I do not have a manual to tell me the torquing sequence or the value in inch or foot pounds, I would really appreciate it if someone could supply me with this information. Or if possibly another mechanic has had this same problem and managed to come up with a solution. I find it rather difficult to believe that the heat exchanger has failed again in less than 9 months...

I am to the point where I am not having very much confidence in the mechanics on our island. Most work without any manuals and use bolts that have been tensioned before rather than replacing them with new ones (which are not available) that have to be ordered also

Last edited by maheanuu; 09-04-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added last sentence
maheanuu is offline   Reply With Quote