View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #31
mercedessean
AF Newbie

Lightbulb maaco paint jobs

I was reading the reviews on maaco paintjobs and think people seem very one sided on their opinions. Chances are if the car has paint that is dulling, some minor blemishes here and there and a little rust starting but the person is wanting to make the car less of an eye sore, maaco is a decent value, no it is not show quality and yes you do get what you pay for, but its stupid to spend 6k on a paint job on a car you couldnt sell for 6k once it is done, i have trusted them painting a 1996 mustang cobra i rebuilt that was wrecked when i bought it and made $2000 profit doing nothing myself, so it must not have looked that bad to the buyer, i have did an 88 iroc and i am about ready to send a 1979 porsche 928 to them, if the car is going to be driven daily and the value of the car is under $7000 it is worth considering a maaco paint job especially if you are not planning on keeping the car for over 3 or 4 years, no they do not do the same as a 6k paint job, but they can make an eye sore look average or better on 10 year old cars, the only real major problem i have had with them is flaking of the paint, they will swear that you need not prep the car yourself and if you do they will void the warranty, personally on a car for myself such as the porsche i will take my chances and prep the car myself, including the body work, their body work is not bad if they have a decent body man which where i live they do, but they do not sand off the shine on the paint, this can be easily done over a weekend using 400 grit sandpaper wetsanding the car, it is messy but will help prevent flaking of paint, every car i had sent to maaco without doing this flaked within a year or two, they say they cover that under their warrenty but the reality is they offer to paint only the panel that is flaking with no guarentees as to the color match, which is a big issue, in short if you know anyone who knows anything about body prep at all you can wetsand a car in one weekend usually and it will tremendously reduce the likelyhood of flaking paint, dont be fooled by them talking about their miracle chemical bonding product they use because it dont work 100% it helps but isnt perfect, i also has a s10 that i had them paint, the first person that looked at it bought it from me and i lost no money on it either, it all depends on what you want, if you want a show quality paint job maaco is not the thing for you, if you want a car that you will get compliments on provided the body has been prepped right etc, you can obtain that through a maaco paint job, no i would not have them paint on a 2005 benz but i would on a 1990 benz. one other thing i would like to mention is dont go with the cheapest paint special they have, that paint will oxidize and dull out way quicker then the super pack, the flaking i was refering to is a couple small spots, not like tons and maybe a few spots about the size of a quarter or dime, not a big issue on an old car but if you are changing colors it will stick out real bad, hopefully this information is of some help to you, as for everyone with their own opinions they are exactly that, so go spend 6000 on a show quality paint job and end up with a car with nice paint that the dealer wont give you a trade in allowance of 3k great investment, if you have a special interest car or show car, then great and the 6k paint job is money well spent, but if you have a 10 year old driver with over 100k unless its a rolls or a testarossa then its probably a bad investment unless thats what you want to do and keep the car for a very long time
mercedessean is offline   Reply With Quote