View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 03:19 AM   #31
aveo54
AF Newbie

Re: Aveo gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Metros
Two thousand miles over isn't a whole lot over. Keep in mind, the "severe" service schedule is supposed to cover all from the less than "normal" to the severest of the severe. Three thousand miles between changes...is really only needed for old-lady service and dirt-road driving.

4000-5000 miles between changes is probably okay, unless you scale Pike's Peak for a living and drive from below freezing to warm-summer temperatures every day.

With highway usage, 7500 is again the most conservative. If you went 10000 miles without changing...unless you had blowby or extreme temperature swings...I wouldn't worry.

The frequent oil change is "insurance." Only a small percentage need to use their insurance - be it collision or oil change.

Take a deep breath. Engine wear is cumulative. The car isn't ruined because the oil got a little yukky...once.
I agree -- stopped changing oil at 3000 miles a long time ago. Even many experts agree that it's a major waste of oil. Used to go 5000 miles between changes with conventional oil, but have switched to Mobil 1 and now change no sooner than 8000 miles.

P.S. Have been driving 36 years and have never had an engine failure even though I've put 200,000+ on many of them. Every other part of the car will fail before the engine with a longer interval between oil changes.
aveo54 is offline   Reply With Quote