View Single Post
Old 04-20-2004, 03:35 PM   #75
DVS LT1
AF Enthusiast

Anything will last long if you build it to last - V8, V6, I4, H4 - whatever. I don't know much about the Evo (its not even available/legal in Canada ) but I'd find it hard to believe its engine does not have some forged internals (either just the pistons or rods or crank etc...) or pretty strong cast components. And keep in mind there are a number of good performance machine shops out there that argue using certain cast aluminum pistons or cast iron cranks outweigh the benefits of using certain forged materials. Then you've got an entire argument between different types of forged metals - 4130 is weaker than 5130 yet 4340 tends to benefit more from the forging process, yada yada...

You don't necessarily kill an engine by running high amounts of boost. The seals on the other hand will get done in much faster but if the engine is setup properly you can run as much boost as desired, safely.

Take a stock F-Body for instance. If you want to bolt on a blower without changing anything else go ahead.

You can run 5-6 psi of boost safely on a stock setup with the only real change being a switch to high octane gas.

If you want to run 8-9 psi safely on that stock motor - no problem, but you'll need an intercooled blower. It might be possible with a non-intercooled blower but the timing will surely need to be retarded, higher octane gas used, and you'd better have a modified and very efficient engine cooling system (this would NOT be the safe way of doing it!).

Feel like 14-15 psi? Go for it - although this time you will definitely have to swap in some low compression pistons, and they'd probably need to be forged (or a stronger cast compound). Same goes for the connecting rods and crankshaft. But anything is possible, and safe to run provided that its setup properly.

I don't see a factory Evo with warranty putting out whatever amount of boost it does and not being able to handle it over the long-term course of its life. And most of the time cars like these are overbuilt in terms of tolerances, so sneaking out 2 or 3 more psi out of the system is no big deal.