View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
nhd4spd
AF Newbie

Ruf Build Quality

While browsing the net I stumbled across a Google result that compelled me to take several minutes out of my day and sign-up at automotiveforums.com.

Tetsuo said: I'm not a big fan of Ruf. Sure Ruf is qualified to be considered as a manufacture by German transformation officials but despite that fact Ruf lacks the same build quality of a Porsche-built 911. And unlike Porsche, Ruf does not have the same budget to commit to all-condition testing that Porsche commits to.

In response:

It appears that you have been in the presence of a Porsche long enough to appreciate its build quality, but it is apparent that you have spent very little time in or around a Ruf. As a former Porsche, and former Ruf owner, the build quality of the two cars cannot be compared. The Ruf is essentially a "blueprinted" Porsche, and from the moment I selected the grain of leather I would like on the dashboard from a 3 inch thick book; it was obvious that things are done more carefully in Ruf Land. Through several years of hard use my Ruf never uttered a squeak, a rattle, an engine note less than music. My 996 Turbo on the other hand, spent a good portion of its life on a lift. As to conditional testing, I can't speak to the performance of my Ruf in snow or mud, but the car simply glides at 180 mph, while my 996 Turbo felt like it was moving through turbulence that would bring down a 747 at that speed. I simply had to write and convey what a former Ruf OWNER thinks about the Quality of the car. And why did I sell you ask? I was offered $20,000 more than I paid. If that doesn't speak of Ruf quality, I don't know what else will.

And Gerd, Ruf VIN or Porsche VIN, we are both still getting passed. Unless of course there is a woman in the area, Ferrari will always own that :-)
nhd4spd is offline   Reply With Quote