Thread: 59 Silver Cloud
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #2
kratefan
AF Enthusiast

Re: 59 Silver Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddhaene
My great-grandfather traded my grandfather a 59 Silver Cloud for a "previously enjoyed" lincoln about 20 years ago. Since then, it sat many years in a barn. After I graduated from college, he gave it to me. Now, I'm in Atlanta, GA with little or no idea where to go to get parts, advice, work, etc.
I am not a mechanic. I do watch TV shows about mechanics, so I am loaded with misplaced confidence.
But, really, I have had a couple of folks look at it and I certainly need an exhaust. I know this because the motor fires and runs smooth. The transmission works forward and reverse. There are no brakes at this moment. In fact, the wheel cylinders are in a box and I think the master cylinder is too, but I can't remember exactly. I would like to know if and how I might run some GM bus brakes instead of trying to rebuild or replace the original RR parts. One of the backing plates is completely rusted off and 2 others need to be replaced. Of course, the majority of lines are missing, so a total re-run is going to happen anyway.

Does anyone have experience or opinions on this move?
As far as parts, try Hemmings Motor News. They will provide information. Rolls Royce brakes are very complicated. They have a mechanical servo that runs off of the transmission. I'm sure Atlanta has some independant shops that can help you.
Good luck,
Jeff
kratefan is offline   Reply With Quote