View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Mike J
AF Newbie

Knocking Noise from Rear Wheel

I’m hoping someone can help me diagnose a noise that is coming from the driver’s side rear wheel of my 1976 Triumph Spitfire.

Here’s some history: I recently removed the differential and had the bearings and seals replaced by a specialty shop. I personally replace all three u-joints, rear break cylinders, and stabilizer arm bushings. After putting everything back together I hear a knocking noise which seems to be coming from the vicinity of the wheel.

Here are the symptoms: The knocking noise occurs twice for every complete rotation of the tire (the faster you drive, the faster the knocking). There is no noise when the car is on stands (the weight of the car must be on the tires). The noise goes away when driving up a slight grade (additional tension on the drive components?). The noise goes away when taking a sharp right hand turn. The noise occurs when the brake drum is removed (thinking it may be brake related I removed the drum as an experiment).

My first thought was that the differential wasn’t reassembled properly or possibly had a nick on one of the gears. But unless the noise is being radiated down the final drive shaft I truly believe it is coming from the area of the wheel. I don’t have much experience with wheel bearings but it doesn’t make sense to me that they would make a noise with these symptoms. Before I fabricate the specialty tools necessary to inspect/replace the bearings I’m hoping someone can let me know if I’m headed in the right direction.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote