View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #42
bhamilton2143
AF Newbie

Re: learning to drive a manual (5 speed)

[quote=iwantlancergsr]ok where do i began.i a new driver to a 5 speed i to was taught with automatic.but the past few days i have been searching for a car.been alot of places seen alot of junk.then i come across a 1997 acura 2.2 cl.its a sweet car.but its a 5 speed i was scared to buy it but a few days later i sucked up and bought it.i let it sit a few days because i was scared of it.but this is what i did to learn it u dont have to do the same but here is something that will get u boosted to drive one.i started by every night when no traffic was out and i drove it around the block.u know so i could practice stoping at stop signs. and taking off i stalled alot i even threw it it the wrong gear cause i was trying to speed shift.lol....then after 2 days of doing that i was driving by myself with no one in the car and out in traffic.one thing my instructor taught me was to find the g spot of the clucth and always clucth and brake when coming to a stop.u can either put it in neutral are downshift.with shifting down u will have to clucth are the car will stall.with it in neutral u can just use your brake.my first time on a hill i spun my tires so dont worry and good luck.