View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Rodeo Transmission stuck in Limp mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbohica
So the shop we took it to says my "transmission clutch" is out and it is slipping. I mentioned to them that it is in limp mode and it will act like that, and they said that if it was truely in limp mode then there would be CEL codes, and that it probably needs a transmission rebuild.

I don't know much about automatic transmission clutches, but on manual clutches, when they go, you can stomp it in any gear and feel it 'slip'. Wouldn't this do the same? When I shift to L, it doesn't seem to slip when I stomp it, or in 2-3...
first i'll say i'm not totally confident in diagnosing from this distance, and AT's can be tough anyway.
but...i can tell you that the AT limp mode will often not set a CEL.
and i *can* tell you, from what you have written, that the shop is full of it.
if it were a clutch, you would have the same problem with shifting it manually.
maybe it does need rebuilding, but i wouldn't go there anytime soon, and not from what you have written.
instead of chomping down on it in L Low to test for clutch slippage find a long incline and get it up to 3 third manually and then do it,.

i'm still betting you have an electrical problem. charging problem. alternator. or connectors. you didn't mention -- have you followed the battery ground wire to the body/frame, removed it, cleaned shiney bright and reinstalled?

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote