View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 02:39 AM   #95
kevcrx
AF Newbie

Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

When purchasing an NSX, I believe that you are purchasing a potent mixture of technology and sophistication unmatched by 99% of cars under 150G's. I don't have 90-100G's to purchase a new NSX. (nor would I pay that much for one.)

I just have to become more imaginative in acquiring an NSX.

I think most would agree Honda makes excellent engines and quality cars. Ask NSX owners pushing 100,000 miles and many will honestly answer it still runs
"Like New."
A used 91' NSX may run about $25,000-$30,000 on websites such as autotrader.com. The majority of NSX owners garage, pamper, and maintain their cars as well as anybody.

Ok, enough of the small talk. Lets ALL make this thread more interesting. I wish to hear from everyone with an honest response.

-The scenario is a 24-hour race through a race track.
-$50,000 dollar limit on car + any parts you want.
-Your life depended on it.

What car would you choose now?
My answer is simple - A used $25,000 NSX, spend $25,000 to bullet-proof engine and suspension upgrade.

No longer factors:
-who has more HP?
-who has more torque?
-quarter mile is 14.0 instead of 13.5
-which car is cheaper!
-modded street cars

My Predictions:
Turbo powered cars- Overheating a major drawback, most turbos are good for short periods-but a 24 hr race full throttle? It might explode! The power of turbo decreases through long periods of increased heat as race goes on. (while V-Tech strives in intense heat!) AWD turbos such as Evo's and WRX's have limited top MPH speed.

Domestic V8's, V10's, V12's- The race track may present twists and turns not suited for these puppies. They may gain time on the NSX during staight sections, but NSX makes it up on turns. The NSX was given an exact weight ratio and horsepower to minimize the need for braking on turns. An NSX driver may REDLINE on turns while heavy cars are braking. I give Domestic V8's and up props, but they are not made for these conditions. An NSX is within a car lenght with a Viper on a straight section, then may seriously be ahead when entering turns. Multiply this single fact times a couple hundred times.

Street cars: For street cars such as a 350Z, the question isn't if a bullet proof NSX will lap you, its how many times it will lap you. And thats putting it in a nice way. Just think, 24-hours of engine redline, grinding through turns, braking, ect. Street cars have very limited top MPH.

Although a vette' zo6 under $50,000? may concern me,
I expect to win this type of race in a bullet-proof NSX.
The NSX also has looks that would kill.

My intent was to eliminate the cost factor by purchasing a used NSX. Replace minor comparisons with a drastic scenario. With that said, I want to hear from you NSX guys.
kevcrx is offline   Reply With Quote