View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Kooky Tire Pressure Question

On a lot of cars, I'm guessing 1 out of three typical sedans, a different tire pressure is specified for the front axle vs the rear. Typically, it will read something like my old Ford Contour: Front: 31PSI - Rear: 34PSI. On other cars with different front/rear pressures I've seen "F: 29 - R:31" and even "Front: 33/Rear 36psi".

Now, folks, Smooth here lives by his GUT. And my gut instinct tells me, that in modern front-wheel drive cars, at lest 55-60% of their weight will be borne by the Front(read: LEADING) axle. Ergo, I would want more pressure in the tires under the heavy end of the car, and less pressure at the lighter end - so as to increase contact patch area and keep it planted back there in sudden turns, etc.

In my 2008 Kia Optima, Kia recommends on the door jamb cold F/R 30psi. I run Front-33, Rear-31. Just that small offset has not only firmed up my ride but had eliminated some under-steer. My wife's 2005 Corolla - same thing. F:32psi, Rear:31psi. She maneuvers that thing through traffic on the Merritt Parkway - one-handed - 70 to 80mph!

Why do mfgs with front-rear tire pressure offset seem to have it backwards according to my own gut & experience, putting more psi in the already potentially fishtailing rear axles of these already tail-light front-wheel drive cars?
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote