Thread: VTEC vs. SR20DE
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2001, 11:52 PM   #51
CHRIS200T
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to CHRIS200T Send a message via Yahoo to CHRIS200T
Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie
I cant believe this debate is still going.

Honda has been building VTEC engines for over 15years,
(development started in the early 80s, and the first production motors came out in 85/86 in some Bikes)
The technology of VTEC was around far befor HONDA ever had a name. I was told it was thought up and used in the late 30's .

I beleve BMW is leading the way as far as technology goes as thay have and still are developing Camless motors running infenit varable cam lift and deration & timing utalizing Silinoids to open valves.

Quote:
Original "BULLSHIT" posted by Moppie
Compare this to Nissans attempt, or Toyotas and Honda is Years ahead, both only make limited numbers of engines with this technology, and it would be fair to say that neither have perfected it. (whitness all the compliants about the Toyotas VVTi-L powerband and mismatched ratios, and Im quite sure the SR16ve would suffer similar problems, you dont get 200hp from a N/A 1600cc engine with out sacrificing a lot of low end power.)

ANYONE SMELL THAT???? I SMELL BULLSHIT!!!!!! B16A makes 113 ft-lb of torque the SR16VE makes 133ft-lb

Nissans 1.6 VVL makes the same if not more torque then the 1.8L VTEC found in the Acura Integra GS-R's

SR16 makes 105ft-lb of torque by 4500 rpm and climes up from there ! So the SR16 has a much wider power band then a B16. Shit the SR16 makes 90ft-lb at 900 RPM from idle. Thats not bad torque from a dead stop ether.

So to anwser that question. No to get 200HP you don't have to sacrafice low end power. If anyone has done so it would be honda.

Quote:
Original "BULLSHIT" posted by Moppie
Im quite sure the SR16ve would suffer similar problems

uhhhh how sure are you again??? I am sure that honda working with 15 year old technology most other manufacturers have made something better.
92 Sentra SE-R Almost stock
-
91 NX2000 SR20VE VVL Powered 177WHP almost stock (Girlfriends Car)