View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

A little more progress this week with my latest 'toy'...

I wanted to get some shape into the sides, so I put together a basic door to fit into the sill section:

This provided some of the encouragement I needed, so I added a rear wing section too:

It's all a bit basic and I'll be re-doing the profiles for the foam patterns, but as a quick way of putting some 'flesh on the bones', it's doing a good job, I think. I'm taking all the measurements from my basic line-drawing, so it's quite easy to make most of the cardboard panels - but some of the lines are not true lengths, of course, so these take a little more effort. Naturally, having done the door and the rear wing, I could also put together a nose section:

...and a front wing:

Hmm...just noticed that the front wing isn't quite aligned properly in these photos. It's just the way I've positioned the pieces - it does all line up!

...and here's the whole lot:

At this point I'm finally getting a good idea of how this is going to look. I have a feeling that getting the doors to open and close properly is still going to be as awkward as it was on the 908, but at least I should have better access to the mechanism. I must remember to incorporate small magnets into the panels to hold them in place, if possible - it seems such a good idea when other people do it!

I didn't get much done yesterday as I was at RaceRetro at Stoneleigh. Porsche were one of the featured marques so I was hopeful of at least seeing one or two 956's...but I didn't expect to see this:

This is 908-03 chassis 012 in 1971 Nurburgring spec (Bell / Siffert). As you can imagine, my jaw dropped and I had to get a closer look! I'd printed some photos of my 908-03 to take with me, so while the two ladies guarding the stand had a look at those, I was crawling on my hands and knees and getting a few more detail shots - having a little 'quality time', you might say!

Quite pleased with this one - my engine shroud was just about right with it's colouring:

So, after that surprise, how about some 956 / 962's:

If I didn't expect to see one 908-03, you can imagine my reaction on seeing this:

This one is chassis 006 - I believe it was used as a practice car for the 1971 Targa Florio, then found it's way into private hands later in the 70's with a turbo engine. It's now restored to original 1971 spec as a replica number 3 Martini Nurburgring winning car...which (I believe) was actually chassis 008! The RS61 next-door belongs to Sir Stirling Moss...

Now for some variety...March 782 F2 car:

Unknown chassis / body unit - Propellor Dan's day job, perhaps?

A typical stand display:

McLaren Can-Am (sorry, I didn't get the number):

...and finally, a 1/8 Riley Brooklands frame:

As usual, I came away feeling that I hadn't seen most of the show - I seem to spend more of my time talking to people I know through work, than actually inspecting the displays. I did force myself to take more photos this year, and this is just a selection. If you haven't been, I would certainly say it's worth a visit - there's always a good selection of bike-related displays, rally cars, club racing, book and model sellers, autojumble, live action, etc - plenty to see.

So, that's it for now. More next week!

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote