View Single Post
Old 10-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #11
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Re: Another

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsayz
curtis73 ( heh heh sounds like one sweet computer. How do you like the new double layer dvd system. Do you need a double layer drive to read a double layer dvd?? ),
So far the computer is sweet. I listen to CDs while I surf and the sound card has enough memory to rip the tracks while I listen. I have about 25 CDs burned to MP3s and the HD is only like 2% full. I love it.

Quote:
So i was just thinking maybe get a good car and then just get an OKEY engine from some junkyard or something. But i might not really know what im talking about yet but that was just the idea that i had in my head.
I've done this before. Usually if you find a rural junkyard out in the countryside they might have a good runner. They get "new" cars every few days that someone junks as a running car. If you can find one running, you can go test it out and maybe drive it to make sure it works well. Take a mechanic/friend with a few tools; a compression tester, maybe an oil pressure gauge, and some general information. If the compression tests well, it doesn't leak too bad, and there is no smoke out the tailpipe, you might have a good one. It might last another 100k or it might die tomorrow, but as long as you keep that in mind when you fork over cash, you'll be fine.

Quote:
What would be a good older car to modify ( like from mid 80s till like mid 90s ) that would be fairly cheap and something that not alot of people have?
Hmmm. My first answer for in the "easy to modify" category would be a GM A/G body. The A and G bodies are ones like Monte Carlo, El Camino, Olds Cutlass, Buick Gran National/Regal, Pontiac Grand Prix. They have incredible aftermarket support and junkyard upgrades like wheels, suspension, and engines are truly as easy as getting the parts and putting them on. The frames are mostly identical across the board, so you can put a Pontiac engine in a Buick Regal simply by buying the motor mounts and maybe a little piece of fuel line. There is obviously some little stuff to do like maybe extending wires here and there to reach sensors in different places, but its really easy since all the parts are there from the factory. Also, other modifications are easy using other GM parts; for instance a common suspension upgrade is to use B-body spindles and brakes. Its a bolt in with the proper suspension parts.

Unfortunately, Everybody and their brother has an A/G body. The same goes for Mustangs. Although they're cheap and easy to modify, everybody has one.

A couple ideas; How about a Thunderbird. During the 80s/early 90s, they were based on the same Fox-body platform as their mustang cousin. Most of the performance parts available for Mustang will also work on Tbirds. You could get an mid-90s Caprice or other B-body like it. If you hold out for one with the 9C1 package (cop cars, some taxis, Impala SS) you get the LT1 V8, which is the same engine found in corvettes, camaros, and firebirds from the same time. They are tuned down a touch to 260 hp, but they are one of GMs most commonly used engines, so aftermarket speed parts are cheap and plentiful.

OK, enough with domestics Unfortunately I'm not sure about imports from the 80s. I had an 88 Maxima that was a great car, but I don't know how easily you'll find parts for modifying it later down the road. I've seen them modified, but you'll have to do some research/fabrication to get the same desired effect as, say, a civic. You can get on the internet and find millions of bolt-on civic parts with predictable results, but the more obscure cars will be research and trial-and-error. There is a huge following for early Datsun/Nissan Z cars; 240/260/280. You'd get the classic look, a respected car, and good aftermarket support. You could get an 80s 300Z, or if you can come up with the cash, a 90s 300Z. I won't suggest anything british. If you're used to japanese reliability, then avoid things like Triumph or MG.

Here's a fun idea. Go to ebaymotors to the search page and click the "passenger vehicles" tab. Plug in your area, zero minimum price and whatever max price you can pay, and then search. Its great. It displays everything in your area and you'll be shocked at what fun stuff you can find. Maybe you'll find a good car that needs an engine or tires or something. Its amazing how much money you can save when you buy a car with something "wrong." I bought a 75 Cadillac once for $200 because it was a basket case. I just wanted the engine which alone was worth $300. Often times the value of the whole package is less than it is in individual parts.

If you live in a salt area, you might want to focus on a car with a good engine and a worthless body. You can get it cheap and buy body panels as you go. If you live in a non-rusty area, mabye find a good body/frame with a blown engine (or no engine) and replace it.