View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
hoopdaddy6
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to hoopdaddy6
Angry Not running well

I recently bought a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer from a friend at work for 400 bucks. I knew before I bought it that it had lots of problems. My plan is to get it running right and use it as a 4 wheeling toy so that I can get my 02 Grand Cherokee off the trails.

I have been making good progress so far. I am about six months and maybe $150 into it. The thing didn't start or run when I bought it, and leaked every possible fluid it could. Now it is running ok, and holding (most) fluids.

Most recently, I was having problems with stalling when slowing down, or if you rev it up high, and let off the throttle and the engine would stall. I replaced the IAC and the jeep was happy. Also had to replace wiring to the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) due to wires getting into exhaust and melting. Again, happy jeep. Starts right up, and runs great.

Today I was finishing up with the CPS repair and noticed a broken vac. line between the TB and MAP sensor. When I repaired the broken line, the engine would idle very high, and seemed to increase as it sat. It doesn't have a tachometer, but I would guess it is btw 2500-3500 rps when the MAP is connected.

I pulled the vac line back off the MAP and right away idle goes back down to normal. Hook it back up, and engine speeds up.

In researching, signs point to either a failing MAP sensor, or perhaps the TPS?

Since this is merely a hobby vehicle, and things are tight financially, I can't just throw money into blindly replacing parts.

One more thing, I noticed on the boot that plugs into the TB where the vac line goes has two holes. Only the one line plugs into it, and the other one is empty. Is this right? I recently fixed up the rest of the vac lines as most were either broken or missing when I bought it. I can't find a diagram however of the configuration going into the TB.

Any ideas or input are greatly appreciated.
hoopdaddy6 is offline   Reply With Quote