View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
optraowner
AF Newbie

speedometer accuracy

Did you know that your 2004 - 2007 Chevrolet Aveo might not have an accurate speedometer reading?

I have a 2007 Optra LT and found this out when I hooked up my GPS system and there was a difference of 3 to 9 KMH. I wouldn't have even known there was a problem and you might not either. Spoke to GM head office and my dealer and they feel it is no big deal but I feel it is a safety issue and the speedometer should be accurate.

It seems this issue has been around for a while and no complaints, as you might not even know about it. My dealer though I was nuts when I told them this a week after getting my new 2007 Optra LT.

Check you maybe surprised.

Here is something else I found on a search on the web

Auto Repair Information » 2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS Wagon
2004 CHEVROLET EPICA, OPTRA ALSO INCLUDED. ... Description: SPEEDOMETER ACCURACY 7 TO 9% HIGHER THAN ACTUAL.

GM bulletin reads

Subject: Speedometer Accuracy Higher Than Actual - Keywords IPC miles ,mileage odo odometer offset speedo #PIC3779B
(01/15/2007)

Models:
2004 - 2007 Chevrolet Aveo
2004 - 2006 Chevrolet Epica (Canada Only)
2004 - 2007 Chevrolet Optra (Canada Only)
2005 - 2006 Pontiac Wave

This PI was superseded to add the 2005-2006 Pontiac Wave. Please discard PIC3779A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Conditions/Concern:

The speedometer may indicate vehicle speeds higher then actual. For example, the speedometer may indicate 60 mph at an actual 55 mph.

Note: The odometer accuracy is NOT affected as this is a speedometer ONLY issue.

Note: This is characteristic of the current calibration.

Recommendation/Instructions:

This condition is NORMAL at this time; do NOT replace the IPC for this conditions it will NOT repair this speedometer offset condition.
optraowner is offline   Reply With Quote