View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
bignoisey
AF Regular

Re: '99 B3500 5.9L - Removing Heads

Okay, your recommendation is noted. But the van only has just over 80K miles on it even though its a '99. And everything I could see with it apart looked really clean. So I finally got it all back together - no extra bolts, all wires back in place and it started right up. Glad I labeled everything. I let it idle and warm up while I put the front wheels back on. No leaks, temp looks normal while idling. So off I went on a test ride. As I drove a little way, I noticed the temp seemed a little higher than it used to be. It kept going up, then down a little, but it stayed higher than before all this work. I thought maybe the coolant is low, but when I checked it after it cooled down it was full. I wasn't driving hard or fast, just around town. I would have expected it to stay at a constant temp even if it were higher than before. I tried shifting down to low for a while and the temp went back down a little. It was a warmer than usual day, but not that high. I'm wondering if changing the water pump made this happen. The fan clutch is practically new, and I could hear it run. If I can't discover the cause, I may try changing the thermostat, possibly its sticking. I saw some 180 and 160 alternative thermostats on Rock Auto instead of the standard 192 one that's considered standard. They also have a high flow rate one.
bignoisey is offline   Reply With Quote