View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
bignoisey
AF Regular

Re: '99 B3500 5.9L - Removing Heads

To continue the saga.. I acquired a factory service manual very reasonably on ebay which is quite helpful. Removing the exhaust heat shields and the front wheels provides just enough clearance to remove the heads after removing the exhaust manifolds. Some bolts had to be accessed through the wheel wells. Several exhaust manifold bolts broke off due to being rusted in place. What a job this has become! The heads are being worked on at a local machine shop who say they can remove the broken off bolts as well as doing a valve grind and check for cracks. They say cracks are not uncommon in Dodge magnum heads. Cross my fingers.
I have a couple of questions if any one knows:
1. Can I reuse the head bolts which seem to be fine and free of rust? Can't find any recommendation on this in the service manual.
2. Where can I find a new set of exhaust manifold bolts? I looked on many auto parts web sites including RockAuto and find nothing. The OEM bolts use some thick washers that can't be removed from the bolt shaft. Can I use standard grade 8 bolts and washers?
Any suggestions are welcome.
bignoisey is offline   Reply With Quote